Image Map

Friday, September 9, 2016

Tailgating Time! - Ice Cream Cookie Dip

The chilly days of tailgating are coming! Probably not this weekend, (it's going to be in the mid-80's this weekend in the tri-state area) but soon we'll be bundling up in layers and heading out to the game with thermoses of hot drinks.  If you are a football fan in the northern part of the country, this is your reality. There are approximately three weeks of comfortable football weather before the too chilly temperatures take over and make it impossible to enjoy a game without bringing a blanket. During these crisp Fall weeks, I think you should bring this to your outdoor tailgating party...


Yes! Ice Cream Cookie Dip! I'm sure you've seen the different types cookie dip floating around the internet. Most of these dips use cream cheese as a base and are all perfectly delicious. This cookie dip uses your favorite ice cream as a base! Basically, this is an excuse to eat a bunch of ice cream with an edible spoon.


The reason I suggest this recipe only to those in the northern states is because it will melt rather quickly at temperatures higher than 50 degrees! I used a bit of gelatin in this recipe to stabilize the dip, but it still is mostly ice cream and will turn into a pool of delicious melted ice cream if you sit it in the blistering sun. I suggest keeping this in a cooler until you are ready for dessert, then eat up! Unless you are in Buffalo, NY. You will have no problem setting this out on your tailgate in a few weeks! Winter is coming...

Continuing to celebrate my hometown and all things Buffalo Bills, I used the new Perry's Ice Cream - Sundae at the Ralph - to make my ice cream cookie dip. The ice cream has little peanut butter-filled footballs mixed in. These were a special bonus when scooping into the dip!

After working with this ice cream on several recipes, I find myself wanting to put on my old Zubaz pants. Unfortunately I haven't owned a pair of Zubaz since 1994. I think that either a. my mom has since donated them or b. I won't fit into my 13-year old self's pants. Disappointing.


Wait, I just checked... Zubaz still exists!  Time to go buy some and bring back the trend...

Four Years Ago: Ramen Vegetable Soup
Five Years Ago: French Croissants


Ice Cream Cookie Dip
A Wilde Original

Note: I used Bridget's sugar cookie recipe. I divided the dough in half and tinted the halves red and blue - for Buffalo! I cut the dough into triangle shapes to resemble tortilla chips. They were sturdy enough to scoop up the dip with no trouble! Also, be sure to get some sprinkles in your favorite teams colors. Gotta be festive and support the team!

1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Quart Ice Cream
Sprinkles (I mixed sprinkles from Sweetapolita)

Set ice cream on the counter and allow to soften while you make whipped cream.

In a small, microwave-proof bowl, stir together water and gelatin. Allow to sit and bloom for 5 minutes. Microwave, 10 seconds at a time, until the gelatin is melted.

In a medium, metal bowl, combine melted gelatin and heavy cream. Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Scoop ice cream into the whipped cream using an ice cream scoop. Gently fold ice cream into the whipped cream until mostly combined. Place entire bowl in the freezer and allow to freeze until solid (about 1 hour).

When you are ready to serve, transfer to a serving bowl and surround with your favorite sugar cookie. Watch it disappear!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails