Image Map

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Dulce de Leche Cookies

Has fall made an appearance in your neighborhood?  I stepped outside yesterday for my morning run and was shocked by the chill in the air.  It took me about a mile before I wasn't huddled inside of my hoodie.




I'm very excited for fall, I always have loved this season.  Spring and fall are both seasons of transition, a good time for a new hair color, trying on a new style or finding a new hobby.  I'm using this fall to check off a few things on my "Must try" list and that includes using new ingredients in my cooking and baking!


Today I finally pulled out a can of dulce de leche that has been sitting in my pantry for months.  I was expecting a smooth sauce but when I opened the can I was surprised to I discover a rich, scoop-able caramel.  I promptly  popped a spoonful in my mouth and wow, how has this been sitting in my pantry for so long!  I had to use up this stuff before I ate the entire can with a spoon.


These cookies were the result of my DdL experiment and boy were they good. Uh-mazing! I had to limit myself to one per sitting or I would have eaten the entire batch! The combination of flour and corn starch makes for an extremely moist and soft cookie. So delicious.  Head to the Latin foods department of your grocery store and pick up a can of dulce de leche for yourself!

One Year Ago: Apple Pie Ice Cream Topping
Two Years Ago: Mini Reeses Cupcakes
Three Years Ago: Buffalo Chicken Burgers & Celery Carrot Slaw

Dulce de Leche Cookies
Adapted from Cuisine at Home Magazine

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks butter (12 tablespoons)
2/3 cups sugar
4 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon dried orange zest
1 can dulce de leche

Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add egg yolks and orange zest and beat until combined.  Add half of the flour mixture, mix on low until combined.  Add remaining flour and mix in.

Divide dough in 2 and wrap in plastic wrap.  Press into a disk and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Roll out dough, either between the plastic wrap or on a floured surface, to 1/8 - 1/4-inch thick.  Stamp out 2-inch squares.  Place dough squares on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Bake cookies at 350 ºF for 14-15 minutes, or until lightly browned on the edges.  Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute.  Remove from the baking sheet and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Spread 2 teaspoons dulce de leche on half of the cookies, top with the remaining cookies.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails