Image Map

Thursday, January 29, 2015

J@H 2015 - Cheese Whiz

It's Superbowl Time! (Do I have to put the "TM" after the word "Superbowl"? Will the NFL sue me if I don't? Anyways...) It's time for the big game and my Junk food at Home challenge was perfectly timed! You might think that I put this recipe in the challenge line-up on purpose. Nope, I had no idea when the "Big Game" was when I scheduled the challenges.


This challenge took a bit of tinkering before I came out with this final recipe. The first batch I made was a cheese sauce, simply milk and cheese. The sauce separated promptly upon being taken off the fire.




Batch two was slightly more successful. I used the same recipe that I have written below, but I allowed it to cool to room temperature before pouring into the whipper. The sauce solidified upon cooling to room temperature. There was no pouring happening with that batch. It's currently in my fridge, I think I'll try it out as a cheese spread...


The third and final batch is the one you see in this post! The cheese sauce is poured into the whipper immediately after the cheese is melted. The cheese is charged with N2O and is ready to go. I don't think that I have the industrial capacity to exactly replicate the density of Cheese Whiz. My cheese is more of a cheese foam. These first few images are of the still-warm cheese foam.




Once the whipping siphon is cool to the touch, it pipes out cheese foam like the stuff below.


The cooled cheese foam holds its shape a lot better than the warm stuff. I would recommend making this stuff just before your friends arrive. You can't put this in the fridge, as the cheese sauce would solidify in the fridge. Enjoy the entire thing of cheese in one sitting, but be sure to share with your friends. It wouldn't be very good for you to eat it all yourself!





One Year Ago: Loganberry Mallomars
Two Years Ago: Fudgy Waffles
Three Years Ago: Raw Salad & Wagamama Dressing
Four Years Ago: Chocolate and Peanut Butter Mousse Entremet





Homemade Whipped Cheese
Inspired by This Article

You will need a whipping siphon for this recipe. You can get one from Amazon (fancy option, the one I own) or head out to your local Williams-Sonoma or Bed, Bath & Beyond and pick one up this weekend! Don't forget the N2O cartridges!


2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 cup shredded mild cheddar
Orange food coloring (I uses Americolor Orange)

In a small skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Combine milk and heavy cream together in a cup. Slowly pour dairy into the skillet, whisking continuously.  Whisk and heat until the mixture begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Add cheese and turn off the heat. Whisk until smooth and cheese is completely melted. If you want to replicate the classic Cheese Whiz color, add a few drops of orange food coloring.


Pour cheese sauce into cream whipper. Charge with 2 cartridges of N2O. Shake whipper to aerate cheese sauce. Enjoy on crackers, or even better, top a hamburger with the stuff!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails