Image Map

Friday, January 10, 2014

Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes

Ever since I started my new job, I've realized the importance of pancakes for breakfast!  All summer long, during my fun-filled unemployment period, I had awesome breakfasts at least twice a week.  I usually made these big breakfasts after my ten mile runs and totally deserved pancakes on a Wednesday.  Now that I'm back to work, the weekend is special once again and that means Pancakes!



Oatmeal pancakes to be more specific.  I've been working to incorporate more whole grains into my baking this year and have a pantry filled with different types of flours.  Be prepared to see lots of baked goods with barley, rye, oatmeal, coconut and corn flour this year. These pancakes have a mixture of oat and all-purpose flour, in order to keep them light and fluffy.


Thankfully today is Friday.  That means I can make more pancakes tomorrow!  Which whole grain flour should I try out?  I'm thinking some coconut flour pancakes could be pretty delicious.



One Year Ago: Almond Cut out Cookies
Two Years Ago: Cherry Stripper Cookies
Three Years Ago: Chicken with Pineapple Chutney

Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes

1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
Cooking spray

Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.  Whisk together egg and buttermilk.  Form a well in the center of the flour mixture and add buttermilk mixture.  Stir the flour into the liquids until just moistened, there will still be lumps.  Allow pancake batter to rest for ten minutes.

Heat a flat griddle over medium-low heat and coat with cooking spray. Using a 1/4-cup measure, form enough pancakes to fill your griddle.  Cook pancakes until bubbles form on the top and the edges look cooked and not wet anymore.  Flip pancakes and cook for another minute.  Enjoy with syrup, jam or powdered sugar.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails