Image Map

Monday, January 13, 2014

CTB 2014 - Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie

I have a new favorite dinner - Chicken Pot pie.




I love this recipe because I basically added the vegetables that I had in my fridge and some frozen veggies from my freezer and came up with a super dense pot pie filling.  I don't know about you, but I want my pot pie filling to be more vegetable and chicken than sauce.

With having to return to a full time job, I've gone back to making dinner after my commute home and have been looking for quick and easy dinners.  This one fit the bill and was so good.  As per usual, I skipped out on making my own pie crust.  I am a huge fan of those rolled up refrigerator pie crusts.  You can either make your own tried and true pie crust recipe (which I don't have one) or you can be like me be lazy.


Be lazy, it's a great way to save time!

One Year Ago: Red Velvet Fudge
Two Years Ago: Thai Chicken Soup
Three Years Ago: Raspberry Meringues

Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

1 refrigerated rolled pie crust
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 leek, white & light green parts, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup skim milk
2 cups pre-cooked chicken, chopped
2 cups mixed frozen vegetables (I used peas, carrots, asparagus & red peppers)
1 egg, beaten

Let rolled pie crust warm up as you prepare the filling.  Preheat oven to 400 ºF and set a deep dish pie pan on a baking sheet.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Heat butter and olive oil until mixed.  Add onion, leek, celery and carrots and stir to coat in oil.  Cook for 3 minutes, add sage, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.  Add flour and stir to coat the vegetables.  Add chicken stock, heavy cream and skim milk, stir until flour is blended into the liquid.  Bring to a simmer and let cook until slightly thickened.  Add frozen vegetables and cook for 1 minute, add chicken and stir.  Pour everything into the pie dish.

Unroll the pie crust and place over the pie filling.  Crimp to the edge of your pie plate and brush with the beaten egg.

Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.  Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes on a wire baking rack.  Slice into 7-8 pieces and enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails