Image Map

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Peanut Butter Taffy

Happy Orthoversary to me! Oh, you've never heard of an Orthoversary? It's quite simple. Today is the one year anniversary of getting my braces on! (Actually it was this weekend, but I was busy playing in the snow). It has been one full year with my fancy ceramic braces, metals wires and rubber bands.



When I first had the braces put on, I was very nervous. So many of my friends had ortho as teens and they all had varying horror stories of how terrible their time in braces had been. There was the initial attaching, the tightening and the monthly adjustments. This all sounded terrible.



Fast forward one year. Let me tell you, this has not been a bad experience. Granted, most of my major tooth adjustments took place in the first few months. The past few months have shown minor changes in my bite and the way my teeth align. I hardly notice the brackets anymore and have learned to speak and smile with them. I can't imagine what it will be like when I no longer have them on!



At my last orthodontist appointment, I was told I was making excellent progress and should have them off by the end of summer! So while I haven't really had any problems with the braces, I'm looking forward to them being gone. Why? I miss popcorn! Biting into an apple! Chewy caramels! I haven't had a piece of gum for a year!


I've been trying to be really good and follow the list of dos and don'ts that I was given all those months ago. I feel like it will help my progress I I follow directions meticulously. Only six to eight months to go and that's when we'll really celebrate!



One Year Ago: Marshmallow Fondant & Classic Fondant
Two Years Ago: Cinnamon Rolls

Peanut Butter Taffy
From Chocolates and Confections

I made this candy recipe using a kitchen scale and would recommend you doing the same!  It's so much easier to measure out molasses and corn syrup directly into the pot, rather than measuring into a cup and then transferring into the pot.

12 ounces (1 cup) light corn syrup
4 ounces (1/3 cup) molasses
8 ounces (1 cup) granulated sugar
10 ounces (3/4 cup) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
9 ounces (1 cup) creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Coat a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray.  Cut wax paper into 1 1/2x3-inch pieces, at least 50 pieces.

Combine light corn syrup, molasses, sugar, sweetened condensed milk and salt in a 4-quart pot.  Stir contents and set over medium-high heat.  Stir continuously with a heat-proof spatula until it begins to bubble.  Clip on your candy thermometer and continue stirring until you reach 238-240 degrees F.  (Go up to a max of 242 if you like a harder taffy).

Remove syrup from the stove and add peanut butter and vanilla.  Pour into prepared pan and let cool for about 45 minutes, until its just warm to the touch.

Begin pulling and stretching the taffy with your hands (you may need to grease them slightly).  Keep pulling the taffy until it lightens in color.  This will take about 10 minutes and your arms will get tired.

Oil a pair of cooking shears and cut off a piece of the taffy.  Roll it out on a lightly greased counter top to a 1/2-inch thick rope.  Snip off pieces of candy at every 1 1/2-inches  Wrap the taffy pieces in the prepared wax paper.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I love all things peanut butter! Will give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails