Image Map

Monday, January 24, 2011

Thai Chicken Curry

It’s been a little chilly up here in the Northeast! So cold, that I decided it was unnecessary to leave the house yesterday. I checked the weather channel and found that it was only 18 degrees out, with a wind chill making it feel like 2 degrees. I left Wisconsin to get away from those temperatures, right? Why are these chilly temps following me around the country? Maybe I should move to Florida next time.


I can’t complain too loudly though, because I was invited to go down to Florida this weekend. Boyfriends parents recently moved down south, escaping the cold Buffalo winters once and for all. They are very smart people. A quick check of the temperature in Florida? 74. Curses, why didn’t I take boyfriend up on that offer? Oh right, I have a bunch of stuff to get done at work this week. Double curses. Cold weather and work.

I guess that since I can’t escape the cold weather, then I might as well make something hot. Spicy hot! Curry spicy hot! Nice. This recipe is light, delicious and it’s chicken! I also added zucchini to the curry. The strange thing about zucchini is this. I hate raw zucchini. I will always pick up a piece of zucchini thinking that it is a cucumber. I will bite into the slice of veg and then spit it right out. I think zucchinis have a very bitter flavor when raw. When you cook zucchinis, this raw flavor is cooked out and they are delicious. Plus, I had leftover zucchini from baking the bread last week.


Sorry for the lame-o pic.  Cooking took place pretty late!

Chicken Curry

This curry is light and delicious. Just remember to make your brown rice first; it takes a while to cook! (1 cup brown rice + 2 cups water, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes) The first night I made these, I forgot. I ate this curry in tortilla shells.

8 ounces chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ tsp salt
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 zucchini, sliced
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp red curry paste (I used Thai brand)
1 tsp sugar
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
Brown Rice

Sprinkle chicken with salt. Heat a large skillet to medium-high and coat with your favorite cooking oil (olive, canola, etc). Cook chicken for about 6 minutes, until browned. Add pepper and zucchini and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Remove contents from the sauté pan.

In a small bowl, mix lime juice, soy sauce, curry paste and sugar. Add mixture to the sauté pan along with coconut milk. Whisk together and allow to reduce for about 10 minutes, sauce should have thickened considerably. Add chicken and vegetables back to pan and heat through.

Spoon some curry over your brown rice and heat up!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails