Image Map

Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

In the past I have been kind of indifferent to gourd-based food items. I’m talking about pumpkins, squash, etc. At thanksgiving I usually went for my grandmothers cherry pie, total pass on the pumpkin pie. I prefer my risotto to be filled with basil and cheese, rather than butternut squash. However, I have recently undergone gourd conversion. I have embraced pumpkins with open arms and taken a liking to peeling chopping and roasting squash.



This week I celebrate fall with you, mostly because today was a beautiful, sunny fall day. Rather than a gross, cold, dreary fall day. Today we celebrate with pumpkins! I have always been a fan of carving pumpkins, just ask my roommates. Every year I would insist on having a pumpkin carving party. If you have never had a pumpkin carving party, then call your friends. Tell them to bring a pancake and you’ll furnish the drop cloths.


You can also run out and get a few of those pumpkin carving kits. You know what I’m talking about. They come with books of crazy patterns and tiny knives. Just be sure to get the real knives, not the childproof ones. The childproof ones are also pumpkin proof, and they will do nothing but bruise up your pumpkin. And be sure to invite one brave soul to wield the giant knife. Someone needs to open up the top of your pumpkin! Another plus to having a pumpkin carving party? Hundreds and hundreds of pumpkin seeds! Salt them up and toss them in the oven, mmmm.


My pumpkin conversion came this week from not a pie, but from pancakes. Really, you shouldn’t be surprised. I have written about pancakes twice already in three months. I love pancakes, and I really love these pancakes. The combination of spices will have you thinking you are eating a slice of pumpkin pie, except with a lot less calories! Pour on a little real maple syrup and you’ve got the perfect breakfast.



Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

Have leftovers? Let them cool and place them in a zip-top bag in the fridge. When you’re in the mood for a crunchy, tasty pancake just pop them in the toaster! Just like fresh made pancakes.

I tested these with regular flour and Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free all purpose flour, both are delicious!  Whipping the egg whites helps to give these pancakes real air.


½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour (Or 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free all-purpose flour)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
¾ cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix!)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp melted butter
2 eggs, separated
½ cup milk
½ cup sour cream

Mix together first nine ingredients (thru cloves). Stir in pumpkin, brown sugar, melted butter and egg yolks. In a separate bowl whip egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into batter.

Heat the griddle to medium heat. Scoop ¼ cup of batter onto griddle for each pancake. Cook until edges firm up and the top starts to bubble. Flip and cook for one more minute.

Serve with maple syrup, tastes just like a pumpkin pie!
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Pumpkin Pie pancakes? You just combined two of my favorite things..why haven't I made these yet!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to try the stuffed pumpkin recipe or Citrouille Farcie off the NPR site,sooooo unbelievably delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I plan on making pumpkin pancakes for Thanksgiving breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails