Image Map

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Light and Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes

Okay, I know that I wrote about pancakes last week, but I have a pancake problem. Since it is Saturday morning I feel like it is an appropriate time to talk about pancakes once again. This way you will be prepared for Sunday morning. And with these pancakes, your Sunday will start off just right.



I was going back and forth about posting a breakfast, dinner or dessert this morning. Actually, I was planning on posting this yesterday, but then there was bowling, and I got distracted. Let it be said that I am a mediocre bowler. This is very sad, especially since boyfriend is such an excellent bowler.


I progress the same way every time I go bowling. I start off pretty bad, generally keeping the ball in the center of the lane, but only knocking down five or six pins. Toward the end of the first game I am in my bowling groove and nothing can take me down. This was especially true last night when I picked up twenty-nine pins in the last frame.


After bowling for an hour or so I tend to start to lose focus. When bowling with a large group of people I get distracted. I’m like a puppy, running around talking to different people. Since last night was supposed to be a meet and greet, I felt I was doing my job by chatting up everyone. But this butterflying was affecting my game. I peaked in the last frame of my first game and then steadily went downhill. First place in the first game, second last in the second game.

But if my boss asks, our group crushed the opposition. It was a bowling pin massacre. The other groups were amazed at our bowling talent and showered us with confetti and champagne at the end of the games. To celebrate, today I made pancakes.




Light and Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
Adapted from Cooking Light

These pancakes can be made ahead and kept warm in a 250° oven. Or they can be made way ahead and reheated in the toaster, one serving at a time. They are light and airy and even low-fat. I used egg whites from the carton, rather than separating two eggs.

¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk
1 tbsp canola oil
1/3 cup egg whites

Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, canola oil and egg whites, whisk for about a minute. Add dry ingredients all at once to the buttermilk mixture and stir until combined. Batter will still be lumpy.

Allow your batter to sit at least 15 minutes while you heat the griddle to medium. Using a ¼ cup measure, cook pancakes for about 5 minutes on the first side. This batter is quite thick and you possibly will not see bubbles rise to the surface. Once the edges of the pancakes set, you are ready to flip. Cook on the other side for only one minute more.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. These look amazing and very light and fluffy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Its always great to see your exciting recipes. And this one is just looking Amazing. I am so tempted to try it pretty soon. Have a wonderful week ahead. Thanks for sharing awesome recipes.
    Best Regards, Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails