Image Map

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Why Bother? 2012 - Almond Milk

I can't believe that we're winding down the year of Why Bother challenges!  I feel like it was just a few weeks ago that I was making blueberry-oatmeal bagels.  That it wasn't that long ago that I was kneading my own fondant.  Weren't we just talking about making Greek yogurt?

The year really has gone fast and I've really liked knowing what I was blogging about until the end of the year!  We only have five more WB posts after today and I'm looking forward to all of them.  After weeks of difficult challenges (that's right coconut milk, I'm looking at you!) and busy days at work, I was happy to get to a simple and straightforward challenge. 

Almond milk, so much easier than you would think.  Listen up, there are three steps.

Step 1 - Soak almonds in water overnight in the fridge.


Step 2 - Working in batches, puree almonds with the water.


Step 3 - Strain the puree.


This was such an easy challenge, I set the almonds to soak before I left for work in the morning.  Once I got off the train last night I removed the soaked almonds from the fridge and pureed the almonds in the water.  Straining even took no time at all.  I had 8 cups of almond milk with so little effort!

Store in a screw top container and it will keep in the fridge for a week
 There is only one problem.  I really don't like the taste of almonds!  I don't plan on letting this healthy drink go to waste, don't worry.  This almond milk is destined for slow cooker oatmeal.  It's even better than storebought because you don't have any added sugars, perservatives or salts. 

Since I'm planning on adding my almond milk to oatmeal, I didn't strain it through a fine sieve.  If you want to make almond milk for drinking, I would suggest straining it through medium cheesecloth.  I did pour myself a glass of almond milk to test it out and found it to be a bit gritty.

 Give almond milk a try, it's so much easier than coconut milk.

One Year Ago: Chicken Caesar Pizza
Two Years Ago: Acorn Squash Ravioli with Cranberry Walnut Sauce

Almond Milk

This almond milk is destined for oatmeal and smoothies in the Wilde household, so I didn't spice it up at all.  If you plan on making this for a beverage, you might want to flavor it with a bit of vanilla and sweeten it up with a bit of agave syrup.  If you are a big almond fan, you might just love this all on its own.

2 cups raw almonds
8 cups water

Place raw almonds in a non-metal bowl and cover with water.  Place in the fridge and let soak for 8-15 hours.  Working in batches, puree almonds with water.  Strain through a medium mesh sieve.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails