Image Map

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Simple Arugula Salad

It's officially summer in my book!  While Memorial day is the "unofficial start of summer," June 20th is the official start of the summer season, I consider July 4th to be the real beginning of summer.  Why?  The weather has turned hot.  Weekends are filled with fun events.  The sun sits high in the sky during the day and sticks around until late at night.  Fourth of July was also always a great day as a kid.  School was out, there were fireworks and summer was on!

Most of the country has been in a heat wave, with several consecutive days with temperatures reaching over the hundred degree mark.  Here in the New York Metro area, we've been lucky enough to avoid triple digit temps, but it's still been a warm few weeks!  Personally, it makes me very happy. 


I love it hot!  Hot weather means I get to spend the weekends in cute, summery dresses.  Ninety-degree temps send boyfriend and I outside and up into the hills of New Jersey.  The high sun, coupled with some SPF50, has me sporting a tan, something that I haven't done since I started grad school nine years ago. 

Of course, the high temps mean that I have to take a few showers each day and that we've been doing a lot of laundry.  It also means that I've been avoiding my oven and making lots of salads.  Feeling the heat too?  Head to the farmers market and stock up!

What day do you consider the beginning of summer?

One Year Ago: Strawberry Pate de Fruit
Two Years Ago: Chocolate buttercream & Peanut butter Cream Cheese Frosting

Simple Arugula Salad
A Wilde Original

1 pink lady apple, cored & chopped
Juice from 1 lemon
4 cups baby arugula
1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp pomegranate red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed

Toss chopped apples with lemon juice.  Add arugula and Gorgonzola to the apples and toss.

In a small container, combine all ingredients for the salad dressing.  Shake to combine.

Just before serving, toss salad with dressing.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails