Image Map

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Strawberry Gelato

I’m not a terribly lucky person. I’ve never won the Mega Millions (you might have already figured that out, knowing that I live in a 300 square foot apartment). No one has ever showed up at my door with a big check and a bunch of balloons (though, boyfriend did send me a GIANT birthday card one year). I’ve never won a March Madness pool (yes, this is a game of luck, not skill).


However, recently the tides have been turning on my luck. I might just be a lotto ticket away from moving into a larger apartment! I’ll have to buy some more furniture. Let me give you a few examples of my changing fortune…

What's in there???
While getting milkshakes at Brgr last weekend, I got the bigger milkshake. Boyfriends was ever so much smaller. Who’s the winner? Me! (Brgr makes delicious milkshakes. Delicious, expensive milkshakes!)

On a recent walk to dinner with boyfriend, we passed by a series of discarded scratch-off lottery tickets. Most of them we left on the ground, until we came to the crossword scratch-off. (I love the crossword scratch-off!) Boyfriend picked it up and we stopped, was this a winner? Whoever threw the ticket on the ground failed to realize that they had won! We took it to the gas station on the corner and cashed it in for ten dollars! Winner? The piggy bank!

Pink?  I like pink things!
A few weeks ago I commented on Mardi’s blog, because I love her blog, and was entered to win a giveaway. Low and behold, a few days later I was informed that I was the winner of a whole bunch of strawberries! Mmmm, spring fruit. I never win giveaways! A week or so later I got an e-mail from my apartment telling me that I received a package and that I should come get it before they eat it. I was so confused, eat it?

When I got home I was given an enormous box of California Giant strawberries, the whole box smelling like springtime. Eight containers of strawberries were hulled and frozen, just waiting to be turned into something delicious. Here is the first of many upcoming strawberry recipes. And it is so good…

Oooooo, dinner...

Strawberry Gelato
Adapted from Gelati & Sorbetti

For the past few years, vacations not only meant awesome trips, but also expanding my cookbook collection. Last year, boyfriend and I visited ten different countries and I have a cookbook from each one. Some of them are in different languages, like this book. Bought in Milan in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, it was so appropriate for our time in Italy. Gelato was a common meal for the two of us! This recipe is creamy and amazing. Use the most fragrant strawberries that you can to get the best product.


The fact that I bought this book in Italy explains why the measurements are in metric. Being a chemist, I saw no issue with this! It was so normal to measure things in metric! I’ve done the online conversion for you, but if you have a kitchen scale use that! It should have four different settings (g, lb:oz, mL, fl oz).

400 g (14 oz, 2.5 cups) Fresh strawberries
200 g (8 oz) light cream
150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
20 mL lemon juice (about the juice of half a lemon)

Wash, dry & quarter strawberries. In a small pot, combine strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Heat over medium low until the strawberries break down.

Puree strawberry mixture with whatever you’ve got! (immersion blender, food processor, blender) Strain puree through a medium sieve to remove seeds. Put this in the fridge and allow it to cool for at least an hour.

Combine strawberry mixture with light cream and stir until pink. Pour into the bowl of your ice cream maker and freeze for twenty minutes. Transfer to a container and place in the freezer to harden up a little more. Try not to eat the entire batch, share!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails