Image Map

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cornbread Pancakes

There are those recipes that we keep coming back to, again and again.  Pancakes are my thing.  It's not one particular recipe that gets me.  Actually, I love trying out new recipes each time I make breakfast.  I've made peanut butter pancakes, fluffy buttermilk pancakes and chocolate chocolate chip pancakes (coming soon!) but this time I decided to make something a little different.


While wandering the streets of New York this weekend, boyfriend and I happened upon a random street fair.  Nothing special, no carnival rides or popcorn machines, no theme or clowns (thank goodness, clowns are totally creepy).  It was just a few vendors, in their white tents, taking up some space between sixth and seventh.  You find these things all through the summer, popping up all over the city, selling the same screen-printed shirts from Pakistan, "hand-made" bracelets from Taiwan and character hats knitted by someone's grandma (factory worker) in India.  Now don't avoid these little street fairs, there are also some local artisans thrown in the mix and their stuff is amazing.

Don't skip these fairs for another reason, the food.  I've decided that street food is among the best food in the world.  It's hard to truck this stuff in from the Far East, so you know you've got something that was made locally, most likely by the person dishing it out.  Let the aromas of crepes and gyros, chili fries and pulled pork, draw you in.  Just try to limit yourself to one indulgence, these are not low calorie treats!


The item that peaked my interest was so simple.  Two cornbread pancakes, sandwiched with mozzarella cheese.  The cheese was just oozing out from between the two pancakes, calling my name.  The four dollar price tag however, was making me turn in the other direction.  I can make that at home, for like ten cents!  And that's just what I did.  Except it was breakfast by the time I made these and I wanted syrup.  So I added a little sugar and called them pancakes.  I have plans on making the savory version of these, all cheesey and delicious, but for now I have breakfast!

 Cornbread Pancakes

This recipe makes about twenty pancakes, feel free to cut it in half if you don't want to make this many.  Or you can do like I do!  Make them all, store leftovers in a zip-top bag in the fridge.  Pop two in the toaster in the morning and have pancakes all week!

1 3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and oil.  In another bowl, mix together remaining ingredients.  Pour flour mixture into liquids and mix until everything is moistened.  Allow batter to sit for fifteen minutes.

Heat a griddle to medium and pour 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.  Cook about 2-3 minutes for the first side and 1-2 minutes for the second.  You're looking for a nice golden color on the pancake.

Serve with maple syrup or even better, blueberry syrup!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails