Image Map

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Frying all the Potatoes

I may have mentioned a few weeks ago that the boyfriend got me a deep fryer for Christmas. This was both a great gift for me and a self-serving gift for himself. I think he really just wanted some french fries!

I have always been nervous about deep frying. Heating a giant vat of oil to over 300 degrees just seemed like a dangerous proposition. My new deep fryer takes away all the fear and I've been having a great time frying everything! Chicken tenders, chicken wings, donuts and of course, french fries.


I have finally been able to put my French Fries cookbook to good use. I've tried a few methods to get the perfect golden crunch on my fries, the frying method from this cookbook delivers the most delicious and consistent results. I'm thinking of making my way through this cookbook, cover to cover.

I may put on twenty pounds this year...

In other news, I'm putting my gym membership to good use!



One Year Ago: Magnolia's Banana Pudding
Two Years Ago: Spreadable Flavored Cheese
Three Years Ago: Thai Sweet Potato Stew
Four Years Ago: Orange Chiffon Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

Parmesan Fries

I like to cook up just one potato at a time, rather than make 6 potatoes like the original recipe suggests. One Russet potato makes enough fries for two people. Feeding more people? Cut up more potatoes! I'm also super lazy and I don't bother peeling the potatoes.

1 Russet potato
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Vegetable or canola oil
Kosher salt
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Cut potato into 1/2-inch sticks, you know, like french fries. Place potatoes in a bowl and rinse with cold water. Fill the bowl with cold water, covering the potatoes. Add vinegar and swirl bowl of potatoes. Place this bowl in the fridge for 1 hour.

Heat oil in a deep fryer, or large pot, to 315 °F. Drain potatoes and place on paper towels. Pat potatoes dry with more paper towels. Fry potatoes, about one potato at a time, for 5 to 7 minutes. Potatoes should be cooked, but not browned.  Remove potatoes from the oil and transfer fries to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.

Heat oil to 375 °F. Cook the fries for a second time, for about 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown.

Sprinkle fries with kosher salt, Parmesan cheese and parsley. So delicious!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails