Image Map

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pear-Raspberry Soda

I'm not quite sure if I still have legs right now.  I mean, I see them and they did carry me home from the gym last night, but they don't really seem to be attached to my body.  I blame Crossfit.


Yep, that's right, I joined the Crossfit cult.  Although I'm not really sure if I'm ready to drink the Kool-aid.  I spent four years participating in and teaching BodyPump  - a totally different type of weight lifting class.  BodyPump is all about repetition until you reach muscle failure.  Crossfit is an Olympic style lifting class that seems to try and make your legs fall off with excessive rowing.

So much rowing!  My poor shins are tired!


There are a few reasons I decided to give Crossfit a try...

1. I have been doing BodyPump for five years and was looking for something a little different.
2. Many of my friends have been going to Crossfit and RAVE about, constantly.
3. The Crossfit gym is literally a block away from my apartment and they have 8pm classes.


Sold.  I'm signed up to go twice a week and I'm ready to burn!  First, I had to spend two weeks taking a Fundamentals class - learning the bar moves so I won't hurt myself during class.  I've been to three classes in the past week and I'm enjoying it, though my legs are wishing we'd cut it with the rowing.

You're wondering what an average Crossfit workout looks like?  Here's what we did yesterday...

Strength work
Bench Press - warm-up & 2x5reps at max weight, 3rd set - go until muscle failure

Conditioning Work
225 jump ropes (or 75 double-unders... which I haven't mastered yet)
50 Ball squats (you first do a squat, then you toss a heavy ball in the air)
25 Knees to elbows (hanging from a pull-up bar, you lift your knees as high as you can!)
Row 1500 meters (So much rowing)

I came home and ate a whole bunch of Girl Scout cookies.  Yum.


I'll keep you posted with the workouts and whether I see myself getting stronger and leaner.  Leaner probably won't happen if I continue finishing my workouts with a row of Peanut Butter patties...


One Year Ago: Banana Bread Donuts
Two Years Ago: Cherry Turkish Taffy

Pear-Raspberry Soda
From Homemade Soda

I've been eyeing up this recipe for a while, but only recently located pear nectar.  Head down the international foods aisle and you'll find this nectar with the hispanic foods!  I saw a whole line of nectars that I'm going to be bringing home and making into soda very soon!  I just love carbonating things!

6 ounces raspberries
1/3 cup sugar or 2 tablespoons stevia/sugar mixture
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 cups pear nectar

Combine raspberries, sugar and lime juice in a small saucepan.  Heat berries over low heat until softened.  Mash berries with a fork or potato masher.  Strain and let cool.  Add pear nectar and stir until combined.

Carbonate with your desired method.  With a siphon - add 1 cup water and carbonate using your siphon according to manufacturers instructions.  With seltzer - Combine 1 cup raspberry-pear juice with 1/2 cup seltzer, stir until blended.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails