Image Map

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chilled Asparagus Salad

Boulder, Colorado is many things. It is crazy beautiful (I have included pictures as proof). There are too many things to do. The weather is fantastic year-round. It is the gateway to the Rockies. Boulder has so much going for it.


The one thing that Boulder has going against it? Boulder is very far from Home. I can tell you exactly how far it is… Two full days in a car, driving through endless corn fields, then endless nothingness (aka Nebraska. Sorry Nebraska, you know you’re empty). Buffalo, New York to Boulder, Colorado is a twenty-four hour drive, through seven states, gaining thousands of feet in altitude. If you want to fly back home to Buffalo it takes at least five hours. Along the way you lose two hours by way of the time zone change.


It is because of this distance that I took very few trips home during my time there. And because of this, I am so glad for the friends that I made in Colorado. The people of Colorado are unbelievably friendly, kind people. My friends in the west are exactly that.


Last Christmas I found myself an orphan. Staying in Colorado for the holidays to work, dog watch and teach a ridiculous number of group X classes. My fabulous Colorado friends would not hear of me spending the holiday by myself. I cannot thank them enough for their kindness of inviting me into the fold with their family.


What a fantastic Christmas dinner! Craziness, happiness, good food and good conversation. From this dinner I learned several things. 1. I have very little in common with a republican from Montana :) 2. I betray my nerdiness by stating that I’ve seen all of the Star Trek movies. (It’s true. And I’ve had several conversations about what the titles of all of them are.) 3. Jello is still delicious and 4. Even eight-year-olds like this asparagus dish.

My many thanks and lots of love goes to my friends in Colorado. I also send you this recipe, enjoy.




Chilled Asparagus Salad

2lb asparagus

2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp fresh parsley
½ tsp dried tarragon
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of onion powder
Dash of garlic powder
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

Cut asparagus, on the diagonal, into 2-inch pieces. Cook in salted, boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender. Drain asparagus and place in an ice-bath to shock and chill the asparagus.

Mix vinegar, mustard, parsley, tarragon, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder with a whisk. Drizzle in extra-virgin olive oil while whisking continuously.

Either add dressing to the asparagus right away and serve, or place both dressing and vegetables in the fridge separately until ready to eat.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails